As a Raleigh employment lawyer, Amie Carmack focuses on workforce law — that is, the body of laws, contracts and policies that regulate relationships between and among workers, owners and businesses; requirements for workers in regulated industries; behavior and safety in the workplace; worker mobility; and, protection of confidential information and trade secrets that workers access, use and create.
With more than 25 years of experience in workforce law and litigation, Amie engages closely with her business clients to help them achieve their organizational and professional goals, while mitigating the risk associated with workforce-related strategies and decisions. She helps business leaders assess risk, make decisions and position themselves to prove what they did, in compliance with complex local, state, national and international workforce regulations and case law.
Amie provides innovative ideas and drafting grounded in sound legal principles, brings a fresh perspective to strategy, efficient problem solving and dispute resolution, and vigorously defends her clients and protects their trade secrets and confidential information in litigation and government investigations. She is valued by clients for her practical, proactive and efficient approach.
Prior to joining Morningstar Law Group, Amie was a partner at K&L Gates and its North Carolina predecessor, Kennedy Covington. She is a passionate double Deacon with dual degrees from Wake Forest University and has been honored as the top employment lawyer in North Carolina.
Amie’s areas of expertise in workforce and employment law include:
- Litigation and defense in state and federal courts; local, national and international arbitration venues; and, government agency forums
- Compliance with local, state, federal, and international workforce regulations, including ADA, FMLA, Title VII, and more
- Work-force-related agreements, policies and documentation
- Protection of confidential information and trade secrets, competition covenants and related disputes
- Officer and director fiduciary duties and other duties, internal investigations & Board of Director level communications, decisions and documentation
- Partnership and corporate dissolutions involving disputes regarding ownership rights and interests
- Compensation and non-qualified benefits, including wages, equity, stock award
- Worker performance and conduct management
- Cross-border workforces and international assignment of employees
- Workforce issues and due diligence related to M&A and other business transactions
Amie is experienced in handling workforce matters in a wide variety of industries:
- Healthcare systems and services (medical, dental and veterinary services)
- Health and wellness products and services
- Life Sciences, biotechnology, pharmacy, health products and services
- Technology, product development, manufacturing, distribution and sales
- Professional services, including legal, engineering, accounting, health systems, other service industries
- Hospitality, restaurants
- Financial services and securities
- Education and educational products and services
- Performing arts
- Real estate development
- Advertising and consumer sales
What's the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Treat every client, colleague, adversary and doorman you encounter as if you will be working alongside them every day for the rest of your career.